Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Ultimate Giver

I was reading a passage in Matthew today that I have read a hundred times before, but today it spoke to me in a very significant way. Let me share the passage with you.

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! Matthew 7:7-11

I have been asking the Lord over the past couple of months for some important things in my life. There are days when I doubt that He is even listening or cares (yes, even as Christians we have those days!). After reading this passage today it became clear to me again that God has the best in store for my life. He knows what need even before I ask him. Jesus wants us to pursue him and NOT to give up after a week or a month when we don't have the answers to our prayers. I am not a mother yet, but I love verse 11 of this passage. "If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! I know that when I am a mother someday I will want to give my children "good gifts". I love to give gifts to people now, and encourage; even surprise them, but our heavenly father wants to give us so much more than we could ever give to those we love. The Bible says that all we have to do is ASK!

I would encourage those of you reading my blog today to keep on believing for those things you have asked the Lord for! He is the ultimate giver and he wants to give you more than you could even think to ask for, and even more than you could possibly imagine!! Keep asking, keep seeking, and keep knocking. He is faithful and he will answer!

1 comment:

sharonie said...

It's interesting you posted that verse. In MN with Jason read that verse to his family and for the first time when hearing that verse I realized that all those steps are actions...seek, knock, ask, are all action words. It hit me that we need to put our faith in action in praying everyday what we would desire of the Lord.