Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Starbucks

After I drop Rick off at work in the morning I occasionally stop at Starbucks on 106Th Street for a hot cup of Joe before heading to work myself. Every morning that I have stopped at this particular Starbucks for the past three months there has been a homeless man sitting outside of the Starbucks with a cup of coffee in his hand. The first time I saw him there I was sad for him and even said a prayer for him as I walked in to order my drink. Every day since then that I have stopped, this homeless man has sort of just become like a statue to me. Actually, I think if I would stop now at this Starbucks and he wasn't there I would realize there was something missing from outside the front door.

This morning was a different morning for me. I stopped at Starbucks on 106Th street and as I walked up to the door this homeless man looked me straight in the eye. His eyes were sad I could tell with out him even uttering a word that he was lonely and hurting inside. After I ordered my drink, I walked outside to my car and took one more glance at this man. I began to get teary eyed in the car as I prayed for this man. I wondered if I should run to the bank and get out a $20 bill to give him. I knew I didn't have time to do that this morning so I just prayed for him. I don't ever want to look at a homeless person again and feel untouched by it! These are real people; they are sons and daughters of our loving and compassionate Father God!! My prayer is that I am stirred every time I see someone on the street who is in need! God loves them just as much as he loves us and we always need to CARE about people whether they are family or friends, rich or poor, or dirty and homeless!!

1 comment:

sharonie said...

when you move back to chicago, we need to do a homeless ministry together, or even just go once a year to feed the homeless.