Monday, September 15, 2008

Epidural?

Yesterday Rick and I attended a 7 hour birthing class!! I didn't think I was going to make it through! There was so much information to take in, but I am still so glad that we went.

During the class one of the things the instructor, who has also been a Doula for 18 years talked about was the option for an epidural. I personally don't handle physical pain very well, so early on in my pregnancy I had decided that I was going to ask for an epidural no matter what during my labor. Now after this class and hearing about all of the side effects for both me and my precious new baby I don't know what to do! I guess I will try to handle labor the "natural" way and if I can't bear it anymore I will ask for one.

To all of my educated mommy friends, what are your thoughts on epidurals and did any of you have them during labor? If you did have one, what was your experience?

6 comments:

Bethany Patrice said...

I've delivered one baby with an epidural,and one baby naturally. I vote for drugs. :)

Lana said...

Hi Kelly! Yippee - your baby's arrival is getting closer and closer! I didn't want to have en epidural, for the very reasons you mentioned, but ended up having to have a C-section, so it was necessary. I would simply suggest letting the hospital staff know that you are keeping your options open, and decide once you see how you are handling the pain.

Me..... said...

I would love to say I went natural....but I was the first to ask for drugs!!!! They are great!

Judith and Lance said...

DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS... the end.

Angel said...

Didn't have the option b/c I had to have c-sections, so I had to have an epidural...but I would probably vote for the drugs - no sense being in more pain than you need to be and then maybe you can actually enjoy the birthing process more!

Heather said...

All I know is that I've had friends that want to go natural, then wants drugs, and sometimes if you wait too long, you can't get them then. I say go for the drugs!